Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said the country has given its response to the latest U.S. proposal.
Baghaei said in a press briefing on Monday that the process will continue through the mediation of Pakistan, but clarified the country will not cede on uranium enrichment rights.
“What can be said with certainty is, first of all, that rights are not something we are to negotiate or compromise over,” the official said. “There is no need for another party to recognize this right for Iran. This right already exists,” he added.
President Donald Trump has threatened Tehran if negotiations don’t move forward, saying the country will be hit “much harder” in such a scenario.
Trump said “the clock is ticking” for the country. “We want to make a deal. They are not where we want them to be. They will have to get there, or they will be hit badly, and they don’t want that,” he added.
Trump went on to say “the clock is ticking” for the country and warned: “They better get moving fast or there won’t be anything left of them.”
Israeli outlet Channel 12 reported last week that the country is preparing for the possibility that the war in Iran will resume soon. “The Americans understand that negotiations with Iran are going nowhere,” a senior official said.
“We are preparing for days to weeks of [renewed] fighting and waiting for Trump’s final decision. We will know more in 24 hours,” the official added.
The future of the situation in Iran is unclear as negotiations continue at a standstill and the Strait of Hormuz blocked by both Tehran and Washington.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said the country is “trying to maintain” the ceasefire to “give diplomacy a chance.”
Speaking at a press conference in New Delhi during the ongoing BRICS summit, Araghchi went on to say that the country’s lack of trust in the U.S. is the “main obstacle to any diplomatic effort.”
“Every day brings a different message, sometimes even two different messages in a single day, which deepens mistrust,” the official added.
Araghchi also said in a video message that Iran “was the victor in this war” as the country is now seen as capable of “confronting the world’s greatest powers.”
Source link
#Iran #Response #U.S #Proposal #War #Official